Topic: How to disable greek characters encoding

Hi there,

i would like to implement tinymce to my web app. I have noticed that tinymce encodes all Greek characters (α, β, ...ω) inside my textarea fields. For example the Greek letter "α" gets converted - encoded to "α". The only issue i have with this is that a 5-letters word now needs to be stored using 40 letters. If you multiply this with thousands words for many fields in some thousands of database rows, we talk about a great amount of database space that could be avoided!

So, my question is how could i disable encoding for the above characters and save a great deal of database space?

thanks in advance

Re: How to disable greek characters encoding

You can always replace the HTML entities with their corresponding UTF-8 character and store your UTF-8 contents in the DB also using UTF-8 encoding. I strongly suggest you do the conversion from within your server-side logic - it is the most reliable way to go.

Greetings from Germany,

Felix Riesterer.
(-> about me and this forum <-)

Yes, i see what you mean. It is a solution what you suggest, but i would like to avoid applying server code to all the description fields i have. Isn't there any way to do the replacement you mention from the tinymce text editor?

thanks

What do you do if someone were to disable JavaScript and send his/her own idea of the source code?

BTW: How do you think those Sony websites get hacked these days?

Greetings from Germany,

Felix Riesterer.
(-> about me and this forum <-)

Use entity_encoding : "raw".

Best regards,
Spocke - Main developer of TinyMCE

Thanks spocke, entity encoding raw parameter did the trick.

Also, what Felix wrote actually is true. If someone disables javascript, then how do you handle code injection? I use as.net mvc and i have to disable input validation from the server code in order to submit formatted text.

thanks

Last edited by dkarantonis (2011-05-30 12:25:34)