Topic: TinyMCE 3.0 Alpha 1 Released
Finally, we have been very busy working on the next version of TinyMCE, planning started just before summer, and with about 2 months of continuous coding, a new version has arrived, this is a complete rewrite of the TinyMCE core. The release is still in Alpha, there are several known issues with this version, and we still suggest you get the 2.1.2 version if stability is your major concern.
Some of the more notable changes are:
* Rewrote the core and most of the plugins and themes from scratch.
* Reduced the over all script size by 33% and the number of files/requests by 75% so it loads a lot faster.
* Added new and improved serialization engine, faster and more powerful.
* Added new inlinepopups plugin, the dialogs are now skinnable and uses clearlooks2 as default.
* Added new contextmenu plugin, context menus can now have submenus and plugins can add items on the fly.
* Added new skin support for the simple and advanced themes you can alter the whole UI using CSS.
* Added new o2k7 skin for the simple and advanced themes.
* Added new JSON parser/serializer and JSON-RPC class to the core API.
* Added new cookie utility class to the core API.
* Added new Unit testing class to the core API only available in dev mode.
* Added new Safari plugin, fixes lots compatibility of issues with Safari 3.x.
* Added new on demand loading of plugins and themes. Enables you to load and init TinyMCE at any time.
* Added new unit tests in the dev package of TinyMCE. Runs tests on the core API, commands and settings of the editor.
* Removed all button images and replaced them with CSS sprite images. Reduces the number of requests needed.
* Removed lots of language files and merged them into the base language files. Reduces the number of requests needed.
* Removed lots of unnecessary files and merged many of them together to reduce requests and improve loading speed.
* Fixed so convert_fonts_to_spans are enabled by default. So no more font tags.
* Fixed so all classes from @import stylesheets gets imported into the editor.
Thats right, its now 33% smaller and loads even quicker than before! The fastest loading editor just got even faster!
Check out the complete changelog for more information about changes. Not all changes actually made it into the change notes, there are just so much.
A new example of the alternative Office2k7 skin can be seen here:
There is still a lot more to come, a service for better handling of the language packs is one of the bigger changes that will come very soon, we would recommend you wait with helping us out with translations before more about that has been announced.
We also updated the Spellchecker and Compressor for TinyMCE 3.0 Alpha.
The Alpha version is live on this server and the Wiki example pages. If you wish to try it out yourself, go to the download page.
Thank you for using TinyMCE!