Re: You may use TinyMCE in your commercial application/website

If for example a free website(with ads that earns revenue) used tinymce, would that site legally have to put a link to the tinymce website?

spocke wrote:

* LGPL software is focused on libraries. And anything that uses LGPL libraries may or may not be commercial as long as the license of the library is not changed and the whole application with source is distributed with the product.

First, is whole application just tinymce? or tinymce PLUS any of my own custom libraries/plugins that use tinymce?

I'm still a little bit fuzzy on this topic.. just finished having a similar wordpress licensing convo. With wordpress, we came to believe that any custom php code that uses wordpress functions must be released under the wordpress license. (dont quote me on that) So any custom php code I write in wordpress will automatically fall under the wordpress license.

So this makes me think, if my commercial application uses the tinymce javascript api, does that mean all the code that calls tinymce functions needs to be released under the same tinymce license? Yes/No?

Also another funny one is hosted services, if a commercial hosted cms solution uses tinymce, must they give out copies tinymce and all custom libraries that use tinymce upon request?

Hopefully that's not all too confusing for you.

Last edited by dtbaker (2009-08-13 13:37:12)

If you change the "library" in this case TinyMCE these changes must be public and follow our copyright. LGPL is not viral in other words it will not affect other parts of the application like GPL. So use it in a commercial application many large companies do but keep the tinymce files intact.

Best regards,
Spocke - Main developer of TinyMCE

spocke wrote:

LGPL is not viral in other words it will not affect other parts of the application like GPL.

awesome, cheers!

Hello
We would like to include TinyMCE editor in our commercial app (saas) for users to create/edit emails and messages within our fee for service app. The install will be on a single website but multiple subdomains. We are not making any modification to TinyMCE libraries.
Would we be in compliance with your license requirements if we simply display "Powered by TinyMCE" when the user opens the editor?
Of course we plan to donate when we start getting revenue ourselves.
Thanks.
MM

hello every body will any one help me?

acctully i want to use tiny mce in my online application i want to use its some features not the full vesion.

like bold,atelic,underline,emotions,bulets and removeformating.

when i apply it on page the loading time of that editor is too much what me should do?

@umarfooq:

Why do you post your question twice? And why don't you open a new thread? This thread deals with a totally different question!

Use the advanced theme and configure all the buttons you want to have via the theme_advanced_buttons<1-n> option.

As for the loading time: Try using one of the compressors!

Greetings from Germany,

Felix Riesterer.
(-> about me and this forum <-)

On the wiki there appeared a note, that commercial license issues are to be disputed on a company named Epox.

Is that true?

If yes, then such info should be placed on a *trusted* site, not on a public wiki. I have checked the moxiecode site, and there are no changes in the way commercial licenses should be acquired.

Will post some info on our partnership with Ephox soon. There is no change to the license, they just offer support and commercial licensing for companies that can not use LGPL. Their support personell is directly tied to our developers.

Afraithe
TinyMCE Developer
Moxiecode Systems

Ok, I have just rolled back my rollback. smile

Yes, I will change the wording of that sentance soon, it should be a more general notice on how to get a commercial license. Ephox is just one of our partners.

Afraithe
TinyMCE Developer
Moxiecode Systems

I have a question about GPL.  Currently the module is a two step process.  Download the module and then download TinyMCE from drupal.org and then download TinyMCE from moxiecode.com.  I'd like to include TinyMCE in the module download, but Drupal's CVS/project system automagically includes a GPL license in the gzip'ed tar files it creates.

I think you need to talk to the Drupal guys about that.

Afraithe
TinyMCE Developer
Moxiecode Systems

hi that is great to know

That is the problem that I'm interested.
Follow me, I Agree that including it all in one download should eases the bur don on installing it.
I just downloaded the latest version of both the drupal shell and TinyMCE.
Glade to have the full profile selection back. Created two profiles but editor does not show up on any text fields.
Druupal 5.2 TinyMCE 2.2
Any help trouble shooting would be appreciated.

Last edited by davidhan (2014-10-02 05:22:34)

A Nice Day.